Website Public Profit
About Public Profit
Public Profit, a woman-owned consultancy that helps mission-driven organizations use information to improve practice and deepen impact, seeks an accomplished professional to join its growing team as Consultant. The Consultant will bring experience in evaluation, capacity building, and strategy, and will manage a portfolio of five to seven consulting engagements.
Founded in 2007 by Corey Newhouse, Public Profit has evolved greatly from its beginnings working with education and youth development programs and staff training initiatives. Today, with a growing team of 11 staff members, Public Profit supports nonprofits, philanthropies, and municipal entities of all sizes across the country in tackling complex problems. Core services include evaluation, strategic program design, training and capacity building, and data visualization. Increasingly, the firm’s portfolio has included more developmental, emergent, and strategy-focused work, meaning project teams collaborate more closely with both a broad range of project stakeholders and key decision-makers of client organizations. This also means the work has broadened, expanding into philanthropic strategy and performance, public health and health equity, workforce development, and other human services.
The team operates in a matrixed fashion, with individual staff working on several projects at once in different team configurations. Projects are assigned in a range of ways, balancing overall team bandwidth with individual interests and expertise.
Embedded throughout Public Profit is a set of core values that reflect its vision for client work: being smart and approachable, caring, being versatile, acting with integrity, and making the work fun. Committed to equity, inclusion, and organizational belonging, the team believes in the power of elevating diverse perspectives using community-based and human-centered approaches – with listening at the core of this approach. We understand that mistakes will be made in pursuit of more equitable and just outcomes and will own the responsibility for taking corrective actions as we continue to reflect on their practices as a firm and how they show up in the field.
With curiosity and humility, Public Profit is looking for a Consultant who shares these values and who will contribute to our team’s continued learning. We are looking for someone who will bring a diverse perspective to our team and to our work with our clients.
Ideal candidates will have 3-5 years of experience in a similar capacity working in the mission-driven sector, preferably with experience in evaluation and learning, capacity building, and strategy with nonprofits and private philanthropies. Prior experience in consulting a plus. Ideal candidates bring experience in at least one area of community change (e.g., e.g. education, youth services, health equity, housing and economic development, early childhood development, systems change, racial equity, or community capacity building). This prior experience can be program design and implementation or research and evaluation experience.
Candidates should have strong project management skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to convey complex technical issues to a broad and diverse audience.
The Consultant Role
Reporting to Jessica Manta-Meyer, Managing Director of the Oakland Office, the Consultant will be responsible for the overall direction and implementation of client-facing engagements in evaluation, strategic program design, evaluation capacity building, and data management. The Consultant will be responsible for serving as client lead for a dedicated portfolio of five to seven clients, holding and executing the overall vision for the engagement, working closely with colleagues to delegate and complete tasks.
The successful candidate will have high standards for their work, align with Public Profit’s culture of openness and collaboration, and be committed to advancing social equity through community capacity building and learning.
Essential Functions & Duties
- Lead and work on multiple complex client-facing evaluation, strategy, and learning projects.
- Design and implement data collection through surveys, interviews, and focus groups.
- Lead qualitative and guide quantitative analysis.
- Lead the production of high-quality deliverables, including written reports, data profiles, and presentations.
- Manage small collaborative project teams, delegate effectively.
- Work with other project leads to build innovative approaches to the work.
- Engage in continuous self-reflection and learning.
- Three to five years of experience in a similar professional capacity. We encourage candidates who have worked in the social sector in a strategy, capacity-building and/or evaluation role, as well as those with more formal applied research experience.
- A passion for helping mission-driven organizations use data to measure and improve the quality of their work.
- Proven experience analyzing complex qualitative or quantitative data; ability to guide others to do so.
- Comfort facilitating meetings and trainings, generally including between 5-30 participants.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a project team of 2-3 staff, including developing workplans, delegating tasks, coordinating staff.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet established deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail; excellent communication skills; a self-driven yet collaborative working style; voracious curiosity.
- Strong familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the ability to work for extended periods while sitting at a computer.
- Ability to work occasional evening hours and regional travel in the US West Coast.
The base salary for this position is $75,000. Fitting with its commitment to equity and a team culture that values each member as a key contributor, Public Profit also provides annual profit sharing to every employee. We are committed to supporting our team’s work-life balance. Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Health insurance for employee through Kaiser;
- 401(k) with 4% employer match;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP);
- $1,500 annual professional development budget;
- 11 company holidays, 15 days paid time off to start.
Public Profit staff are located throughout California’s Bay Area and in Eugene, OR. Public Profit has a hybrid model in which team members work from our office in downtown Oakland at least two days per week.
All Public Profit staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment.
- We will review applications beginning Monday, October 25. Applications received after that date will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Submit a current resume and cover letter specific to this position to [email protected]. Include your first and last name in the document name (e.g. “Amira Shah Resume 2021.”) Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Due to the high volume of applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- We are currently unable to sponsor visa applications; applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org