Website Laramie County School District #1
Laramie County School District #1
Salary: $93,444.00 – $127,635.00
K-12 Virtual School Principal
The job duties of a virtual school principal involve overseeing the operations of an online/remote delivery system for students in grades K-12. Responsibilities include defining the educational direction of the program and establishing policies and expectations for both teachers and students. Requirements may include hiring teachers, monitor their performance, and facilitating professional development. As a member of the school administration team, this position will also make decisions related to the budget. Responsibilities may include outreach to increase enrollment and encouraging parental involvement in their child’s learning efforts. This virtual school principal is also responsible for ensuring that all online educational portals work effectively within the virtual environment or within the remote learning environment.
This job reports to the assigned Senior Leadership team member.
- Supervision of LCSD #1 virtual school operations, remote based instructional programs, evaluates lesson plans, observes virtual classes on a regular basis to evaluate and coach teachers, and encourages high-quality instruction within the virtual school environment and remote learning system.
- Leads implementation of programs and curriculum aligned with the State of Wyoming Learning Standards and benchmarks.
- Utilizes/relies heavily upon communication technologies and practices that most effectively support a predominantly virtual / remote work environment.
- Provides guidance, supervision and assistance in virtual/remote instructional practices and curriculum development that is responsive to the academic and cultural needs of the student population, including English Language Learners and Special Education students.
- Acts as the technology liaison for teachers and administrative staff.
- Collaborates with stakeholders for the purpose of serving as a liaison and resource for development of dropout prevention, intervention and recovery support opportunities for students.
- Administers policies and directives of the Board of Trustees according to established administrative procedures for the purpose of providing a quality educational program for students, staff and the community.
- Chairs meetings (e.g. curriculum, safety, strategic plan, special district committees, etc.) for the purpose of coordinating activities and ensuring that outcomes achieve school, District and/or state objectives.
- Delegates responsibility for a variety of functions to appropriate certified and classified staff for the purpose of managing the workload more efficiently and developing leadership among the virtual staff.
- Demonstrates the importance of schools, professionalism, and learning to staff, students, and the community (e.g. high personal integrity, high standard-of-conduct, importance of professional and personal growth, commitment to excellence, visibility, high expectations, appropriate human relation skills, etc.) for the purpose of creating a positive impression of the virtual learning community.
- Facilitates communication between personnel, students and/or parents for the purpose of evaluating situations, solving problems and/or resolving conflicts.
- Implements policies, procedures, laws and/or processes for the purpose of providing direction and/or complying with mandated requirements.
- Implements a consistent data driven decision making model (e.g. policies, procedures, processes, etc.) for the purpose of providing direction and/or complying with mandated requirements.
- Maintains effective two-way communication (both oral and written) with all concerned parties (e.g. staff, parents, students, central office, community, etc.) for the purpose of seeking input in the decision-making process, informing interested parties, displaying concern and empathy, and providing positive reinforcements.
- Monitors the individual achievement and the personal needs of students (e.g. record system, achievement data, report card information, health concerns, discipline, acquisition of basic skills, personal improvements, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining high standards for student development and academic success.
- Participates in meetings, workshops and seminars (e.g. administrator, school board, curriculum, professional, community, etc.) for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
- Performs personnel functions (e.g. screen, interview, hire, evaluate, supervise, recommend actions, provide staff development, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining quality staffing, enhancing productivity of personnel and achieving objectives within budget.
- Prepares a wide variety of materials (e.g. reports, strategic communications, correspondence, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
- Presents information (e.g. budget overviews, accounting processes, distribution formulas, testing data, student progress, policies, procedures, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information, gaining feedback and ensuring adherence to established internal controls.
- Represents the school within community forums for the purpose of maintaining ongoing community support for educational goals and/or assisting with issues related to school environment.
- Supervises assigned personnel accentuating professional development and personal growth (e.g. providing constructive feedback, appropriate personnel placements and assignments, recommendations concerning retention/discharge and transfers, developing performance improvement plans, recognition activities, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that standards are achieved, and performance is maximized.
Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the virtual and remote learning programs.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: planning and managing projects; using pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and administering personnel policies.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: pertinent codes, policies, regulations and/or laws; conflict resolution; bookkeeping principles, and concepts of management and supervision.
ABILITY is required to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize jobrelated equipment. Independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data frequently requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with frequent interruptions; creating a positive school climate for students, staff and community; motivating staff; and adapting to changing work priorities.
Responsibilities include working independently under broad organizational guidelines to achieve unit objectives; managing multiple departments; utilization of significant resources from other work units is routinely required to perform the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 40% sitting, 50% walking, and 10% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations.
Experience: Job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility is required.
Education: Masters degree in job-related area.
Equivalency Required Testing Certificates
Appropriate Wyoming State Department of Education K-12 Administrative Certificate and/or endorsement
Clearances: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
HIRING MANAGER: John Weigel
Title: Assistant Superintendent Human Resources
HR Staff: Susan Johnson
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.applitrack.com/laramie1/onlineapp/JobPostings/view.asp?all=1&AppliTrackJobId=1368&AppliTrackLayoutMode=detail&AppliTrackViewPosting=1 →